Monday, August 11, 2008

I'm Back

So I have taken a break for the last six weeks from this blog. Honestly I haven’t been drinking much wine. With the kids being out of school and routines going straight out the window, so went the blog. Stephanie and I are going to be more diligent in our wine drinking… Oops I mean wine writing.

I was down at the LCBO in Windsor and I noticed Colio’s new line of wines “Girls Night Out.” I think that this is a brilliant marketing idea. I know that girls quite often get together for wine and gossip nights and now they have a wine just for those occasion. How does the wine taste? Honestly I don’t know. I am deferring the description to my better half the next time she has a “Girls night out”.

What I have been drinking is Smith & Wilson’s Pinot Gris. This is a full bodied wine for a Pinot Gris. There is lots of grapefruit, banana and a touch of coconut wrapped around a firm acidic backbone. I don’t suggest this a patio sipper, but definitely a food pairing wine. I would suggest either coconut shrimp or scallops with a tropical fruit salsa to match the acidity. Either way it marries well with food as the acidity cleanses the palate for the next bite.

On the docket over the next couple weeks I intend to focus on Rieslings. I have a bottle of Sanson’s Riesling that won bronze at this year’s All Canadian Wine Championships as well as Smith & Wilson’s 2006 & 2007 Rieslings. Look for the notes on these shortly.

No comments: